Sunday, June 17, 2012

Weekend Eats Roundup



So, during the school year the weekends are a time for me to do my grocery shopping, plan and make my meals and relax. Summer has meant (for the most part) that this happens everyday- but, I still keep to the same schedule of grocery shopping and cooking on the weekends....

The above picture is YET ANOTHER Appetite for Reduction recipe- the polenta stuffing. Again, awesome! I served it with baked sweet potatoes and this yummy fava bean concoction...

Fava Beans:
1 15 oz can fava beans, or two cups cooked
Juice of one large lemon (add more water to make it 1/4 cup)
1 veggie bouillon cube
3 cloves garlic
Lots of black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
Red pepper flakes to taste
1 tsp oil

Directions:
1. Add the oil and garlic to a pot and fry garlic for 30 seconds to 1 minute
2. Add the spices and fry for another minute, stirring frequently.
3. Add the lemon juice/water and crush the veggie cube and stir around.
4. Add the beans and cook for 10 minutes or so, until beans are done

My friend Kathryn and I also went to Native Foods Cafe in Boulder. In addition to the nachos pictured below, we ordered the Moroccan bowl, Soul bowl, lavender lemonade, a chocolate cupcake and a cardamom rose cupcake. Everything was awesome and I cannot wait to go back again!


Today I am currently making some rice for a Hoppin' John salad that I am gonna  bring for lunch and granola bars. They smell OK, I usually use beans in my homemade granola bars, this time I did not. I will see which I like better. Lunch was pretty simple today (and dinner will be leftovers from the beans and polenta): a salad with spring mix, romaine, blueberries, zucchini and balsamic vinaigrette:

 I have taken to always making my own dressings, and this week was no exception.

Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
-1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp sweetener of choice (I used agave, I like liquid sweeteners in dressings, they are less likely to be gritty)
- 2-3 tbsp tahini

Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse together until mixed well. Done! This is why I make dressings- it's easier than I thought:)

No comments:

Post a Comment