Saturday, June 30, 2012

Lentil and Beet Burgers



This is the first time (seriously, the first) I have tried to make homemade veggie burgers. Generally, I thought that I didn't like the texture/flavor/etc... However, since I have cut out most meat substitutes (no offense to Boca, Gardein, etc...- I just don't really eat them anymore), I think that my tastes have changed in terms of my expectations of what "veggie burgers" should taste like.

Anyways, I think I will probably mess around more with this recipe in the future (more beets or more onions and definitely some fresh herbs!). However, this was definitely good as it is! The recipe made approximately 10 (well, 9 regular-sized and 1 small) burgers. I am freezing some and thinking of starting a multiple-flavor veggie burger freezer stockpile.

I have been eating these all week for dinner with a miso-tahini sauce and veggies (in the pic above it was roasted asparagus and kale). I am far more confident in my veggie burger making ability after this endeavor.

Lentil and Beet Burgers: 
- 1 c dried green or brown lentils
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 c water
- 1 small shredded carrot
- shredded beet (probably 1/2 of a small beet)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil for sauteeing
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 3/4-1 c flour (I used all-purpose, could likely use whole wheat, brown rice, or other flour)
Spices (could be varied):
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- black pepper

Directions: 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
1. Cook the lentils with a bay leaf and a bit of salt until done (20-25 mins), drain and cool.
2. Add the chia seeds to the water and set aside to gel (this is the binder)
3. As the lentils are cooling, heat a pan with a bit of oil over medium heat and sautee beets, onion, carrot and garlic to soften up (5 mins or so). Add spices in partway through the cooking and mix around to incorporate.
4. In a food processor (depending on the size, might have to do in batches) mix the cooked lentils, veggies and chia seed mixture. *Warning, because of the beets, it will look eerily similar to ground beef.* Try not to be too grossed out. (see below):

5. Once everything is incorporated, add in flour in 1/3 c batches until the mixture stays together well, but is still sticky. As I was making it, I thought that it was too wet; however, it worked in the cooking process!
6. Form the mixture into 1/3 c or so patties and flatten out into desired shape. Put them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (I was all out, so I used aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray. It worked).
7. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes per side, until the tops are lightly browned.

Burgers out of the oven!!!!
As I said, I served these with a miso-tahini sauce, which I love. It's super easy, and keeps in the fridge for a few days (good on pita, crackers, veggies, thinned out with water as a dressing, etc...).

Miso-Tahini Sauce
3 tbs miso (I used white, I have also used brown rice, which I might like better)
3 tbs tahini
juice of 1/2 lemon
1-2 tsp tamari
1 clove garlic
1-2 tsp Siracha (or hot sauce of choice)
black pepper to taste

1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor, adding water (up to 1/2 cup) to desired consistency.

EAT!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment